Skip to content

Oaxaca City

October 9, 2011

Arriving in Oaxaca, the familiar developing-world smells of car fumes and wood smoke permeated the air. It’s a small city in a valley, surrounded by mountains.

Our taxi from the airport drove through streets full of handpainted signs on colorful concrete walls: blue, orange, yellow, pink:

The streets are full of old-fashioned VW bugs in excellent condition.

I’ve been revelling in the Mexican food — I’m a huge fan. We ate at a market with a bunch of comedores (food stalls). I had a cafe con leche with my chiles rellenos.

We stumbled into the middle of a Mexican wedding (one of several that we happened upon during the same day!).

Michael worked up the courage to eat some chapulines (fried grasshoppers seasoned with chili and lime). Video to come later.

Click the image below for a link to some more photos from Oaxaca; even more to be uploaded when we can get ahold of wifi again!

oaxaca city
Advertisements
12 Comments leave one →
  1. neversabrina permalink
    October 9, 2011 12:38 am

Mexican weddings are a blast! Went to my friend’s (Norma + Evan) wedding in Coatapec a couple of years back and after a minor church mix-up set back (there were so many churches in this small town it was easy to confuse…even the priest was at the wrong church!) the traditional nuptials were exchanged with an accompanying rock band of 13 years olds. Viva Mexico!

Yay or nay to the grasshoppers? You’re off to a most fantastic start…love all the bright colors.

• October 9, 2011 9:31 pm

Michael didn’t really love the grasshoppers. I can’t wait to get a chance to upload the video for you guys. He was very diplomatic about it.

2. Doris Foo permalink
    October 9, 2011 4:06 pm

Soup looks OK. I usually do not mind trying new food, however I’ll just trust Michael’s taste report on the fried grasshoppers. I’m glad both of you started your journey. Keep safe and take care. PS: Bride looks lovely
    Love,
    Mum

• October 9, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi my mum,
      It’s actually a coffee with lots of milk, it actually wasn’t as strong as I like my coffee regularly. I will think of you whenever we’re eating!

3. Wendy permalink
    October 10, 2011 10:33 am

This is amazing. Love the VW bugs for some reason. I am so coming to visit you guys in Mexico, and I’m not kidding.

• October 10, 2011 1:38 pm

we’ll be here for the next 5 to 6 weeks! come on down!!!

4. marisabowe permalink
    October 13, 2011 8:49 am

Love those bugs!

5. Todd permalink
    October 13, 2011 9:57 am

Hey you two! How are the waves out there? How big is Puerto now, and will you paddle out on that fabled break?

Todd

• October 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey – waves have been good almost every day – never scary big, but overhead a couple sessions. The good thing is that if there’s the slightest chop on it the line-up is almost empty. We’ve been surfing the point – haven’t hit the main break yet – we’re waiting for it to hit 30 feet at least.
      – M

6. camille@gatesave permalink
    October 13, 2011 12:49 pm

hi mike and delphine – camille from the old block here. glad your trip started out well!

• October 14, 2011 9:59 pm

hey camille! so glad you’re following our blog. we’re on the lookout for botflies — none yet. phew! 🙂

7. October 15, 2011 1:26 am

God bless Rockaway for prepping you to lovingly surf waves with a little chop on them. Awww…that’s nuthin’. xo.